Sunday, March 4, 2012

Glitter Flats

So, I really love cute shoes and love heels, however I have no cute flats!  My problem is that I can never find any that are cute and comfortable.  My mom got this really cute pair from gap a while ago that were glittery and fantastic but they didn't come in my size so, I decided to make my own glittery flats.

What you will need:

  1. 1 pair of cheap flats-they can be any color and any finish (mine were red patent) 
  2. Modge Podge
  3. Glitter
  4. Paint Brush
  5. Bows (optional-I added ones to mine for a little extra pizzaz)
  6. Hot Glue

I started with a pair of cheap flats from Target.  They can be any color since the color will be totally covered by the glitter.  They can also be any kind of finish (patent, regular leather, etc.) they just need to be flat with no embellishments on them.
My shoes before glitter
Next I mixed the glitter and Modge Podge.  It needs to be really thick, my first batch was way too much Modge Podge and not enough glitter.  I just eyeballed it but you want it to be kind of gritty and not runny and glue-like.  The first batch is on the left and the second (correct) batch is on the right.


After you get the modge podge mixture to the proper consistency it's time to start painting it on the shoes.  It will look really bad until the modge podge dries but it will dry clear and look a whole lot better, I promise!


My first coat didn't turn out too well because of the lack of glitter so I had to do 3 coats but if you make it thick enough you only need 2.  In between each coat leave them to dry for a while--until most of the white has gone away.  After I finished all my coats I went back and touched up any spots where you could still see the red.  After that I took plain modge podge (NO glitter) and painted both shoes with it to make sure none of the glitter came off.  The shoes may look like the glitter is going to come off all over the place but they are super flexible and with the top coat of modge podge the glitter is not coming off.
Painting plain modge podge on finished shoes

After I finished the layer of plain modge podge I left them to dry over night.  Then I added the bows, which I bought pre-made at Michael's, with hot glue.  
Adding the bows with hot glue
After adding the bows let the hot glue dry and then they are ready to wear!  So, for under $25 you can make a super cute pair of glittery flats!

Finished Product!

No comments:

Post a Comment